Monday, January 18, 2010

White Bean Chili


What with it being about to snow storm where I live, I thought I would share a cozy, hearty, down to earth, great to eat in front of the fire, recipe with you. We have enjoyed this the last couple of days. Many of you, especially those of you living in the Southwest might already have your version of the Chili but Scottye, a TN friend emailed me she did not have this recipe. As I was about to send it to her, I thought," Why not share it with all my computer friends? If Scottye does not have it, then there are others who don't, as well." So, I hope you snuggle up inside, if it is cold or rainy where you are, and enjoy a bowl of White Bean Chili.


White Bean Chili

1 pound dried white beans, rinsed
3 pounds boneless chicken breasts
2 large onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 large cans ( 7 oz.) green chiles, chopped
5 tsp. cumin
3 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Salt to taste -- You will need to taste the liquid periodically to make sure it is seasoned to your liking. I like lots of salt and I like it heavily seasoned. I have actually given you proportions that are twice the original recipe I received and the truth is, I use more seasoning than what I have written here.
6 cups chicken broth
Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
Sour Cream, salsa, fresh cilantro

Soak beans overnight. Cook chicken breast in crock pot overnight. Remove chicken breasts and save to add to pot later. Make sure there is plenty of stock in the pot. If not enough, add some canned chicken broth. You will want to check the liquid level , at times, to make sure there is enough liquid to cover the beans, etc. so the chili will not be dry. If you are not at home to do this, I suggest you just make sure there is plenty of stock in the pot before you leave the house. Add beans, onions, garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Cook in crock pot until beans are tender. Add chopped chicken and 2 cups grated cheese. Serve the chili with more grated cheese on top, a scoop of sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Note: The fresh cilantro is very important to the taste of this Chile. You purchase it in the produce department. Rinse it and tear off the leaves.

No comments: